12/9/11

What's in A Name? (From "Would You Still Be You/KPhilo)

William Shakespeare is thought to have been born on April 23, 1564. Among the many famous lines from his plays and sonnets is the following spoken by Juliet in the play Romeo and Juliet:  
Juliet:  “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.” 
What did she mean by that? What is the importance of a name? Have you ever wished your name were different? After you answer these questions, come up with a list of other names that you would like to have.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think Juliet was meaning, what if she didn't have to live with her fathers last name, and her and her beloved Romeo could love each other freely, and they wouldn't have to sneak around. The importance of a name is like giving you a personality, you can not change your personality, and you can not change your name, well you could, but that would be to much of a hassle. I would not want to change my name, I like it a lot, yeah it's common but the spelling of it is not, and I feel like that defines my personality perfectly, I am just like everyone else, only I'm not, I have a story to tell the world.

Unknown said...

I do not know what she actually means by that. The importance of a name is everything. You can't get a job without a name, your name is basically your life. I wish my last name was between A - H. My last name is all the way at the end of the alphabet.

Unknown said...

My name is not one of those names that you find on a keychain or a sticker but I'm not saying I would change it but I do sometimes wish to have a different name.